Hooked on Portland Fishing Competition
The Hooked on Portland Fishing Competition will run over the January long weekend 26 & 27 January 2019.
Portland is home to a wide variety of first-class seafood. The categories/target species for 2019 are kingfish, snapper, King George whiting, gummy shark, salmon and tuna.
Prizes will be awarded to the participant who lands the heaviest catch in each category/species.
This competition is open to all ages, however children under 16 need to provide consent from a parent or guardian.
Adult tickets $10
Junior tickets (16 and under) $5
Registrations are required to participate in this event.
Registrations for this year's fishing competition can either be filled out before the event, or on the day.
Registering before the event
To register before Hooked on Portland, please fill in the form available for download below.
Once complete, please return your form to Michael Hunter at email@example.com, or submit in person at Icon Investments, 167 Percy Street, Portland VIC 3305.
Registering on the day
The registration tent will be open from 6am each day.
All entrants must present to the registration tent prior to fishing to collect their wristband, regardless of whether they've registered prior to the event.
Wristbands must be worn and shown when presenting to weigh in. Entrant names will be written on wrist bands.
Saturday 26 January 2019 6am - 5pm
Sunday 27 January 2019 6am - 12pm
Saturday 26 January 2019 from 6am
Sunday 27 January 2019 until 2pm
Weigh-in Station Times
Saturday 26 January 2019 1pm - 5pm
Sunday 27 January 2019 11am - 2pm
Entrants in the competition will leave from the Portland Harbour no earlier than 6.00am.
- Line South from Fitzroy River Mouth or E:141.51 000
- Southern Point Lawrence Rock or Lat S38.25.00
Weighing = heaviest fish per species per angler will be eligible for prize(s).
Live fish must not be presented at the weigh station.
Fish must be weighed at the South Boat Ramp in front of the Portland Yacht Club within the weigh-in times specified above.
Fisheries and Water Police
- All entrants are to abide by the States Fisheries in regards to licensing, catch and possession limits.
- It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that their water craft and safety gear comply with the Victorian State Safely Rules.
There will be no refunds given on entry under any circumstances.
Prizes are presented for the heaviest fish per category / species.
Land based & Boat based prize categories
Adult prize per category: $250.00 land based & $250 boat based
Junior prize per category: $100.00 land based & $100 boat based
- All boats are highly encouraged to register with the Coastguard Portland on VHF 16. Remember to log off at the end of the day.
- Never fish in dangerous conditions. It is the responsibility of the entrants to decide whether conditions are suitable for their craft and the safety of all anglers. All anglers and boats enter this competition at their own risk.
- The organising committee reserves the right to reduce the fishing area or close the days fishing if it is believed that sea conditions are unsafe.
- The final decision regarding cancellation of a day’s fishing due to unsafe conditions will be made by the Portland Division of the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard.
3pm Sunday January 27 at the Portland Yacht Club
There will also be an interactive panel discussion with industry experts about all things recreational fishing. Panelists include:
- Travis Dowling, CEO, VFA
- Dr Corey Green, Fish Scientist, VFA
- Mike Burgess, CEO, VRFish
- John Johnson, Portland Bait and Tackle
This is your chance to chat with those in the know.
Presentations will follow the panel discussion.