WIRF inspires and encourages female participation in fishing.
Created in 2017 by the Victorian Fisheries Authority WIRF promotes knowledge sharing and recreational fishing activities for women through its Facebook community and events.
Part of the Victorian Government's plan to get more Victorians fishing, more often, WIRF invites women of all skill levels to join the community and share their stories and tips.
The online community currently has over 2,300 members and continues to grow daily.
Join WIRF’s Facebook Community!
WIRF’s Facebook community is the place to be to keep up to date with all things WIRF, including upcoming events and activities.
Learn new skills online!
WIRFinars are FREE online events held exclusively for members of the WIRF community.
Hear from others that are passionate about fishing, develop new skills and join in conversation with WIRF members.
Connect with WIRF members in your local area!
WIRF Locals is a network of local groups located throughout Victoria.
Come along to a WIRF Locals near you to meet other WIRF members, attend fishing trips and connect with women who share a passion for fishing!
Meet our WIRF ambassador!
Chloe is a talented athlete, being named one of AFL Womens rising stars - and not to mention she is an enthusiastic fisher!
As an ambassador Chloe is helping to increase diversity in fishing through working with us on our WIRF initiatives
Are you interested in getting into recreational fishing?
Check out these resources including introductory guides, location guides and fish facts.
WIRF Leadership Team Application
Applications are now open to join the WIRF (Women in Recreational Fishing) Leadership group.
Join the voluntary team shaping the WIRF community and enjoy a range of opportunities that provide personal development activities and the opportunity to promote and encourage others to get involved.
If successful first year WIRF Leaders are invited to;
- Attend AFTA, Australia’s biggest fishing tackle, marine and outdoor show, flights and accommodation complimentary. Event held 8 – 10 July 2021 at Gold Coast Convention Centre, QLD (pending travel restrictions).
- Participate in a leadership development program.
- Attend meetings with industry.
- Participate in advocacy events.
WIRF Leaders actively contribute to the continued growth and experience of women in recreational fishing. As such WIRF Leaders are requested to commit to:
- Attendance at online meetings held every two months.
- Support promotion of WIRF at AFTA*.
- Volunteer at a minimum of two community events throughout the FY2022 year.
- Participate in Leadership Program.
- Participate in select initiatives as developed by the WIRF leadership group.
- A 12 month term of commitment to act as a WIRF leader.
Applications are sought from those who:
- Have a strong interest in recreational fishing. People of all skill levels are encouraged to apply.
- Passion to learn more about recreational fishing from key industry personal and other like-minded peers.
- Are community minded and seeking an opportunity to support and encourage other women to engage in and grow through involvement in fishing and associated industries.
- Live in Victoria and are 18 years or older.
To submit your application click here. Applications will only be accepted via this link.
Applications close 23 June 2021.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to participate in an online interview.
Terms & Conditions:
- Applicants must live in Victoria and be able to provide proof of residence.
- Applicant must be 18 years or over*
- Attendance at AFTA is optional to all first year leaders*
- Attendance by WIRF Leaders at AFTA is subject to Covid19 guidelines and restrictions.
- WIRF Leaders who attend AFTA will be required to agree to additional terms and conditions.
- Applications will be reviewed by VFA. Determination of successful applications and appointment of WIRF leaders is at VFA absolute sole discretion.
- Successful applicants will be required to complete a working with children’s check and agree to a set terms of conduct.