Trout Opening Festivals 2019
On Saturday 7 September, come and celebrate the opening of trout season in streams and rivers, and the great freshwater fishing opportunities in Victoria's north-east and north-west.
There will be fun and exciting activities for the whole family, including:
- The best chance at catching a trophy trout, thanks to 7 tonnes of 4kg+ rainbow trout being stocked in the week leading up to the event *
- Help stock live trout
- Hatchery tours (Snobs Creek hatchery and the Ballarat Fish Acclimatisation Society's hatchery)
- Children's fishing clinics
- Fishing experts discussing trout, redfin and native Aussie species
- Kids activities including jumping castles, face painting, photo booths and balloon tying
- Cooking demonstrations and samples
- Fly tying demonstrations ✝
- On-site trade expo *
- Fireworks over the Eildon Pondage *
- Prize draws and raffles
✝ Only at the Ballarat event
* Only at the Goulburn and Eildon event
And it's all free!
To find out the specific schedules for each location, click on the relevant link below:
These events are part of the State Government's Target One Million plan for recreational fishing, which aims to get more Victorians fishing, more often.
The 2019 trout and salmonid closed season on rivers and streams is from 12:01am on Tuesday 11 June until 11:59pm on Friday 6 September.