Inclusive Culture Clubs program
As part of the State Government funded Fishing for All initiative, the Victorian Fisheries Authority (VFA) are providing a program to encourage inclusive culture, growth and diversity in Victorian angling clubs.
Through this program, we aim to equip angling clubs with the skills and resources needed to increase club membership and diversity for the future.
Younger and more diverse groups need to be joining local angling clubs to ensure their longevity and continued influence on recreational fishing in Victoria.
Current initiatives and events at the VFA focus on the following groups:
- Kids and young people (Vic Fish Kids and Fishing for All events);
- All abilities (Fishing for All events and Fishcare’s FishAbility program);
- Women (Women in Recreational Fishing network);
- Culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities (VFA education team).
However, there’s currently little continuation and support for these groups at the conclusion of each program/event.
We believe angling clubs can play a significant role in ensuring these groups continue to participate in recreational fishing beyond these programs and events.
By offering an inclusive program via angling clubs, the VFA have partnered with Leisure Networks to deliver a program which will provide the tools for each club to deliver their own ongoing programs/sessions. It’s a fantastic opportunity for clubs to learn how to grow their membership and support a culture that is welcoming to everyone.
How it works:
- Five workshops will be delivered over three months for participating angling club representatives. These workshops will provide tips and resources on how to make their club more inclusive by creating safe, equal and respectful environments.
- Across the five workshops, each participating club will be encouraged to develop their own action plan specific to their needs that can be used to increase their member numbers and encourage inclusivity and diversity within the club.
- Each of the five workshops will cover a different topic: managing change; leadership; understanding your club culture; growing your club membership and sustainable inclusiveness. For each workshop, an element of the action plan will be prepared for the particular topic discussed.
- The first workshop (introduction to governance and inclusion) and last workshop (overview and action planning) will be face-to-face, while the middle three will be delivered online.
- One-on-one support will be offered to keep clubs on track, troubleshoot any issues and deliver on their action plans. This could include, but is not limited to: strategic support, committee support or helping develop or deliver initiatives.
- The program would begin in September 2022
Register your interest now:
If your club would like to take part in this program, please register your interest by Friday 16 September 2022 and we will be in touch with more information and dates for workshops.
For more info, please reach out to Belinda Yim - email@example.com