Hooked on Lakes Entrance
On Sunday 12 March 2017, the 'Hooked on Lakes Entrance' event showcased the wonderful array of Victorian seafood caught by commercial and recreational fishers.
Lakes Entrance is a fishing mecca, home to one of Australia's largest commercial fishing fleets and popular with recreational fishers.
The event was based at the Lakes Entrance Foreshore Reserve overlooking the water.
Hosted by The Victorian Fisheries Authority and the East Gippsland Food Cluster Inc, event attractions included:
- Fish filleting and fish preparation tips from experts
- Seafood cooking demonstrations including Peruvian Alejendro Savaria who will prepare his signature ceviche with Bass Strait species
- cook-off with local personalities and chefs
- Fishcare 'Come and Try' fishing clinics for children and families
- Local commercial fishers tied up to the wharf explaining their fishing practises and life at sea
- Food stands selling freshly cooked seafood and locally made produce
- Wine makers, beer and cider brewers offering tastings and purchase
- Tables and chairs to relax and enjoy the views with family and friends.
Victorian waters produce some of the finest seafood in the world, which ends up on the tables of great restaurants here and overseas, suburban fish and chip shops and home barbecues.
The event promoted the high quality seafood caught in the Gippsland region, other local produce and great fishing spots to take the family and wet a line.
Sam Mahlook from Miriams Seafood Restaurant
- Bass Strait bugs with lime chili basil butter
- Tiger flathead maxitails in beer batter with tartare sauce