Caramelised trout with salad
Recipe by: The Food Affectionist
- 400g rainbow trout fillet, cut into edible pieces
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 small knob of ginger, finely julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 small continental cucumber, julienned
- 1 granny smith apple, julienned
- 1 carrot, finely julienned
- 1/2 cup coriander, chopped
- 1/2 cup Vietnamese mint, chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 birds eye chili, thinly sliced
- Heat a medium sized pan, and add sugar and water. Cook until sugar dissolves. Stir in ginger, garlic, and peppercorns, and continue cooking until the sugar caramelises into a golden colour. Reduce heat, stir in the fish sauce, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and add the trout pieces skin down to the bubbling sauce. Cook until the trout turns colour and flip them over. Cook for a couple more minutes and remove the pan from the heat.
- Combine the salad ingredients and add caramelised trout and sauce to the salad.
- Serve with steamed rice.