Receipts are a critical component of Victoria's seafood traceability system.

This system ensures that seafood can be traced back to a legitimate, licenced and accredited commercial producer (either a fisher or an aquaculture (fish farm) facility).

Three types of receipts

Any person who carries on the business of selling, transporting, consigning, receiving or processing fish or fish products must ensure the fish received by them, or in their possession, are accompanied by one these receipt types:

  • A Catch Disposal Record (CDR)
    A document created by a licenced commercial fisher, who sells fish from the point of landing). 
    Usually supplied with the following fish species - abalone, rock lobster, pipi,
    CDR may be in digital or paper forms.
  • A Fish Movement Record (FMR)
    A document created by the possessor of the fish where a sale has not occurred or a receipt has not been given (e.g.  fish are transported without sale; recreationally caught fish that may be kept in a commercial premise).

    There are two forms of FMR:

    Note: Best practice is not to store any fish obtained by recreational fishing (i.e. not produced by a licence commercial fisher or aquaculture facility) on a commercial premise. This ensures recreational fish cannot inadvertently contaminate the seafood supply chain.
    If best practice cannot be achieved a FMR is required to be document the source of these fish.

Know what type of receipt you need

Use the flowcharts to understand which receipts are needed in your business

Regularly check your stock and paperwork

We recommend businesses nominate a Safe Seafood Supervisor and do regular stock assessments.