2018 Eildon Trout Opening Economic Survey results
A recent economic report by The Kinetica Group has revealed that the stocking of 2,000 monster rainbow trout into the Goulburn River by the Victorian Government has generated an estimated $1.1 million dollars for businesses in the Murrindindi Shire.
This stocking was a part of the State Government’s record $46 million Target One Million plan to get more Victorians fishing more often, which includes $9 million from recreational fishing licence fees.
The report also revealed:
- Approximately 7,000 people visited the Murrindindi Shire in the days and weeks after the stocking to catch themselves that trophy trout of a lifetime
- Most of the revenue came from visitors outside the Shire booking overnight accommodation and spending in the area, with the majority travelling an average of 74km to get there
- Over 4,000 people attended the Eildon and Ballarat trout opening festivals which raised over $500,000 in total revenue for surrounding businesses
- More than 4/5 of attendees had an exceptional experience at the fishing festivals (89% Goulburn, 87% Ballarat rate 7-10 satisfaction)
- 90% of children that are new to fishing (never fished or fished once/twice), will go fishing more often in the future as a direct result of their experience at the festivals