Freshwater fishing - know before you go
Whether it’s fishing for wild trout in North East Victoria, chasing cod on the Murray River or catching Australian bass in East Gippsland, we want you to enjoy the awesome recreational freshwater fishing Victoria has to offer.
To make sure you and your family have a great time, please do the following before hitting the water:
- Buy a fishing licence or find out if you’re exempt
- Understand and abide by any restrictions that apply to freshwaters
- Know what equipment you can and can’t use in Victoria’s inland waters
- Understand what important terms like bag limit and possession limit mean
- Know what kind of bait and berley you can use in Victoria’s inland waters
- Understand what is classed as an inland and the boundaries between different water types
- Know how to be a responsible angler, handle fish and how to dispose of your waste
- Understand what powers our fisheries officers have and what could happen if you break the law
- Know how to stay safe when fishing and boating
It’s really important you know and follow the rules so we can keep Victoria’s recreational fisheries in great shape.
Have fun fishing and tight lines!